Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Oh, good-bye Montana!

It has been seventeen years since my family moved here. We came with great anticipation of what our time would look like here. We had no idea what was in store. We had no idea the memories, the moments and things that would mark our time here as family. We all grew-up and changed in many ways as we have lived here. We have made great memories and have had hard moments, but overall we have seen God’s faithfulness throughout it all and now it’s time for a new season. A “new” place, rhyme and way of life. Montana, you will be missed!


It has been seventeen years of growing from a little girl to an adult and “moving” away from home, but somehow I always found my way back to Montana and my sweet family. Montana, your beauty reminds me daily of God’s intentionality for beauty and detail and His great love for us. Your love for the great outdoors and being adventures brings out the spontaneity and sense of adventure in me.  You are the home to Sweet Peaks Ice Cream which I could literally eat every day if it was healthy for me! ;) Glacier Park has always been a family favorite and a place where God has spoken so many words to our hearts. Flathead Lake, you are freezing cold, but I will miss you and watching the sun dance across your waves. The month of august always brought so much joy as huckleberry picking was a must. Huckleberry pancakes and scones! Montana Coffee Traders, your trailblazer coffee is my fav and it always reminds me to keep going forward. Your cold winters and grey skies were not my favorite or the forest fires in the summer. And neither were the politics in sports. There is always ups and downs in every season. Montana, thanks for being my home. It was good.



……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
A few weeks ago before my parents drove out of the drive-way with all our worldly possessions in u-haul we had a family day at glacier park. We went to Lake McDonald Lodge. A family favorite! We found a little place to ourselves along the lake and built memorials to remind us each of God’s faithfulness over the years of living in Montana. This was something that I did at the end of DTS last year and it was so significant in my life. The act is from Joshua 4 where God asked the Israelites to build stone memorials as symbol of remembrance His faithfulness to them. So we each built our little memorials and then took turns telling how we felt the Lord had been faithful to us over the years of living in Montana.


Three things stood out to me as I looked back over the seventeen years. First, the amazing people God put in my life who invested in me, loved on me, instilled confidence in me and encouraged me along the way. Just to name a few: Mr. Thiel, Mr. Johnson, Mrs. Hipple, Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Thompson. The Larson family. The Meltzer family. Sarah and Julie from Bible Study. Annie. Tyler.


Second, the opportunities that my family had to do ministry together. It was/is not just my parents job, but our whole family is apart of it. Helping my mama with hospitality. Being involved in my  dad’s community development schools. Having people over to our home always.  Going to Jamaica, Thailand, Hawaii.
Nathan & Emily are missing and we missed them dearly! 


Third, the greater understanding of God through His creation. Montana is a very beautiful state (at least the part we lived in). The beauty, majesty and splendor gave me deeper understanding of God and His intention of creating it all.


Well, good-bye Montana! Next time I come back I will just be a visitor, but a visitor with lots of fond memories and the knowledge of how to be a local! :)


It’s been good, but I am ready for this next adventure. This next season. It’s good to change locations. To change jobs. To change the rhyme of life. (I think another blog post is clicking together in my heart about “transition and moving” since I have done it at least 12 times in the last 8 years!)


One thing that I have loved about spending my last summer in Montana is checking off our family’s Montana Bucket! Check out the picture to see a few of our favorite things in Montana!


Now to discover Lynden, Washington, my family’s new home and the surrounding area and then I can’t forget my soon to be new home of my own as I move to New Zealand! Let the exploring get started!

Much love,
Daniella

No comments:

Post a Comment