Sunday, April 13, 2014

Oh, good-byes!

Good-byes are never easy no matter where you are. In my life time I have had to say far more good-byes than I can count. Growing up in a mission organization with a constant flow of people coming and going always brought good-byes. People who invested in your life and you invested in their lives and then suddenly it’s time for them to leave. Good-byes have always been hard for me. I ignore them and pretend they are not going to happen until the very last second and then I feel like I don’t have enough time to tell the person how much they have impacted my life and how I am going to miss them so much because I have ignore the fact that it was going to happen!!!

One of the first things that someone said to me when moving to my community here in Korea is “you better be ready to say a lot of good-byes… people come and go constantly here.” Inside all I could hear myself saying is “this is no good- I need to leave now before I become friends with someone who I have to say good-bye to!” But then someone else told me “if you never become friends with someone who you know is going to leave soon then just maybe you will miss out on a great friendship” You see the community I live in consist mostly of people who are missionaries or people who are with the military. People who move constantly!
Well, I listen and become friends with an amazing couple and another lady. And now guess what… the couple has left. They have moved back to the states. I miss them. I miss laughing with them. I miss going out with them on Saturday nights. I miss drinking bubble tea. I miss being spontaneous with them. I miss the care and understanding they gave me. I miss our conversations. I miss learning so much from them. I just miss them. I know that God has a purpose in bringing them back to the states and I know that God had a purpose in allowing me to become friends with them, but it doesn’t make the good-byes any easier. I pray that someday will be able to meet again! J
My dear friends, Derek & Christy (baby Lydia)!
And guess what else my dear friend is going to be leaving in July, but I am trying to not think about that now. I am trying to soak up every minute we get together. I am enjoying the moments we have during our bible study and our spontaneous trips. I don’t know what I will do when she leaves, but I am trusting God that He knows!
My dear friend, Emma!
Bottom line… good-byes are hard! But God is showing me a lesson through them to invest in people while He places them close to me. To enjoy the moments! To cherish them! To love them!
Just so you know that when I say good-bye to you; it really is hard for me even if I don’t always show it on the outside. My heart just aches for a while! L
Love, Daniella

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment