Thursday, January 12, 2017

Afghans

Today, two of my dear DTS friends were suppose to visit for a night. We had plans of dinner out, making our favorite New Zealand cookie, Afghans and reminiscing about all that God did in our lives the past 5 months as well as seeing the cute windmill in my grandma’s town. I guarantee you there was going to be lots of laughter, maybe a few tears and lots of words of encouragement. BUT plans changed not once, but twice. Our original plan was to meet in Seattle, but that was canceled because of my season of rest. So plan B was made to come to my place in my grandma’s basement BUT then it stupid snowed (the worst and biggest snowstorm in 10 years were Emily lives in Oregon) and there was no safe way for them to get here. So our little get together is postponed until next time Alea is back in the states! 

SO  when plans change what do you do… you still make cookies. It makes you feel a little bit better. And the cookie of choice was course Afghans because today I seriously and totally miss New Zealand and all the memories I have there. Oh, how I wish these two were here helping me make them! 
Couldn't the weather just be sunny just like this?! 

Thanks, Belinda for teaching me how to make these delicious cookies at my home away from home in New Zealand! Miss you heaps today! 

These cookies are worthy of being documented on here because they are that good and easy and found in almost every cafe shop across New Zealand with a flat white of course! 

Drum roll please…. Here’s the recipe: [ Your welcome those who live in the US because after the first failed very flat cookies batch I figured out the measurements so now they are perfect… why can’t we all use the same units…unity friends, unity?!] 

Ingredients 
Cookie
200 g (7ozs.) butter
75g (3ozs.) (1/2c) white sugar
175g (6ozs.) (1 1/4c) flour
25g (1oz) (2T) cocoa powder
50g (2ozs.) (2c) cornflakes 

Chocolate Icing 
100g (3 1/2oz) butter
25g (1oz) (2T) cocoa powder
100g (1c) powder sugar
25g (1oz) (2T) milk or boiling water

Walnuts to place on top! 

Soften butter, add sugar and beat to a cream; add flour, cocoa and lastly cornflakes. Put spoonfuls on a greased oven tray and bake about 15 minutes at 180C (350F). When cold, ice with chocolate icing and put walnuts on top. Best to store in the fridge! 
Much love, Daniella


No comments:

Post a Comment