Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Joy of Thankfulness

This past weekend Korea celebrated Chuseok which is their Thanksgiving. Chuseok is very familiar to American and Canadian Thanksgiving in the way that it is a holiday to spend with family and remember all that we can be thankful for. Chuseok is also a time to give gifts to one another. Many of my students gave me gifts which I felt so blessed by. One gift I got was a dozen Asian pears.  They are so yummy, but I have had to find creative ways to use them. I made pear bread, put some in my salads, eaten them as a snack and have given some way to friends as they are popular fruit on the expensive side. I spent Chuseok relaxing, sight-seeing (the Queen’s Palace), hosting a pancake party, catching up on school work, visiting friends, skyping with family and friends (my favorite skype time was with my grandma… she learned how to skype just so she could talk to me. I love it!) and remembering all that God has blessed me with.

The Queen's Palace

The day before Chuseok break I had the privilege of leading the staff devotions at school. Although I was really nervous I just shared what was on my heart the past couple of months. I was very open with how my transition process has been and what God has been teaching me through it! And this is what God has been teaching me through it:

                As many of you know it has not been an easy transition for me like I thought it was going to be. I thought I would easily be able to transition into a place because I have done it so many times before, but God has taken this opportunity to pour into my life and shape me more into the woman He has created me to be. One thing that God has really been putting on my heart lately is trusting in Him and having a thankful attitude/outlook no matter what comes my way. In college my junior I was a resident assistant for a group of woman that I lived with. One thing that we focus on was having a thankful heart in all things. I read a book called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and I am rereading it now. Ann has so many good insights into how to live fully right where you are by looking at the little things God blesses you with each day and thanking him for it. Two quotes that have stood out to me during this season in my life are:

                “… but to give thanks is an action and rejoice is a verb and these are not mere pulsing emotions. While I may not always feel joy, God asks me to give thanks in all things, because He knows that the feeling of joy begins in the action of thanksgiving.”

This quote challenges me to be thankful even when I have a really rough day- I am homesick, my students are not listening to me, I am lonely and I don’t understand what is going on. I can still thank God for the little things and through that I will receive joy. Do you believe this?? I can testify that it is true. I have started to keep a thankful journal where I write at least three things every day that I am thankful for. I have noticed my attitude changing and have felt more joy. On the days that I do not stop to look for the thanksgivings I feel dry. I need to choose thanksgiving each and every day!
 
The second quote from Ann that has taught me something is:

                “the secret of joy’s flame: Humble let go. Let go of trying to do, let go of trying to control… let go of my own way, let go of my own fears. Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy’s fire. Leave the hand open and be. Be at peace. Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper surprised thanks. This is the fuel for joy’s flame.”

I need to let go of my expectations, my feelings of loss, my insecurities, my worries, my doubts, and my misunderstandings and I need to just be. I need to find the peace in God so He can use me in all that He wants to use me in. I need to allow Him to give me oxygen for my joy’s fire by bending my knee and allowing God to be God.

I am so thankful for the God that I have a relationship with. He promises to never leave me nor forsake and that is an amazing promise to cling to you. If you do not have a relationship with God and are curious about my relationship with God please contact me. I would love to share with you more about His amazing love and my relationship with Him.
 
These are things that have found their way onto my thankful list the past couple of weeks:
quiet times with the Lord, ipod communication, learning about grace, smooth immigration process, grilled cheese sandwiches, cozy rainy mornings, watching TU soccer, worship, my student’s singing happy birthday to my sister, my family, long runs, fresh life podcast, recipe turned out, homeplus trip with friends, the Houser Family, teaching my students, building new friendships, babysitting, knowing I have a Korean family, parent volunteers, journaling, safeness of Korea and many more things….

Like I mentioned in another blog post, but is something that I am continuing to work on is:
“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord” Psalms 27:13-14
 
Love, Daniella
 
P.S Thank you for partnering with me through prayer, support, and financially. I am so thankfully for each person that reads this blog no matter if I know you or not. Thank you for being you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the encouragement in the joy of thankfulness, Daniella! I really like that verse! We are glad you are in this community and I know the Lord is at work in you and through you!

    ReplyDelete