Sunday, June 8, 2014

End of First Year

My first year of teaching has quickly come to an end. I still cannot quite believe that it is over. There were many moments throughout the year where I just couldn’t wait any longer for summer break, but there were also lots more moments where I just wanted to cherish every minute. My students crept their way into my heart and now they will always be there. We had our challenges, we had our hardships, but more than that we had our joys, our laughters, our ahah moments, our learning times, our prayers, and our times of practicing the fruit of the spirits.  These little second graders turned into big ready to be third graders in a blink of an eye. As a teacher I can say that I am truly thankful for each and every one of my eight students. Each one blessed me in a different way! Myah with her joy, Leenah with her hard work ethic, Esther with her hugs, Melissa with her helpfulness, Tahiri with her love for reading, Eileen with her stories, Naomi with her sweet spirit and Denny with his growth of self-control. These students were gracious to me, encouraging, supportive and always wanting to have a fun time while learning which helped this first-year teacher of me to have confidence in teaching them well. I am so sad. I mean I am really sad- buckets of tears sad to see my little second graders move onto third grade, but I know that their future is bright and that they are ready. I know that I need to prepare my heart for my new set of students and be ready to invest into their lives just the same.
My students (minus one) I wish I could put our cute class picture up, but one of my students cannot be online for security reasons! :(
One thing that I have discovered about teaching that I don’t like is the saying good-byes part! I mean I hate good-byes in life anyways so why would God call me to a profession where I have to say good-bye at least once a year. I don’t know, but I am thankful that He gives me the strength to make it through! I read this poem to my second graders on the last day of school and every single phrase is true:


Another thing that I have discovered about teaching that I didn’t like before was packing! Although I didn’t totally love it this time when I had to pack up my first classroom I am thankful that I didn’t get stress out about it! For once in my life I didn’t have a melt-down when packing my classroom, my apartment and my suitcases for the states. Yes, you read that correctly this past week I have been packing for three different things and yes, I never even had a melt-down. All of this shows what God has been doing in my heart over the past year. He has constantly reminded me that He is my strength and that with Him all things are possible. I have clung to this truth as I have said good-bye to my students and my dear roommate and also my first best friend in Korea. I have clung to this truth as I packed up my classroom, my first apartment and my suitcase. God has given me the strength to be calm, collective, productive, and organized.  He has reminded me that I am not alone in all of this, but that He is with me and He will provide others around me to support me!

All my packing this week!!!

This has been a crazy beautiful messy school year with many transitions, joys, and bumps, but all the glory goes to God who was/is the only one who strengthen(s) me to make it through it all.

This summer I am heading back to the states to be a maid of honor in my best friend from high school’s wedding, hanging out in Montana with my family for a little bit, spending some time with my grandparents in Washington, being a bridesmaid  in my good friend from college’s wedding, a TU reunion with my housemates  in Indiana + seeing other there that are dear to me from TU, and then back to Washington for a few days before I fly back to Korea to help with new staff orientation, set up my new apartment and get ready for round 2 of teaching! What an exciting and fun summer planned. I am looking forward to relaxing, seeing family and friends, eating yummy American BBQ, shopping at Target, and just changing the pace of life for a little while! This one of many things that I love about being a teacher-you get a nice long summer break! J What are you most looking forward to this summer?
Love, Daniella
 
Saying good-bye to my roommate-she is off to get married this summer and move to an island!

Saying "see you later" to my first best friend in Korea. She is moving off to Washington state with her husband!
 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment