Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Reading List

Since I have become a teacher I have realized even more how important it is to read. Reading takes you places. It stretches your brain. It gives you more knowledge. It allows you to travel and experience new things. Dr. Seuss has the perfect quote

“The more you read, the more that you’ll know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

I just love this quote and I have placed it on the wall in my classroom to constantly remind my students and I the reason for reading. In second grade we learn how to read more fluently, with expression and how to conqueror the big words as well as understand what we read. We spend at least 6o minutes a day reading. One of the greatest joys of teaching reading is when you hear one of your students laugh out loud while reading or rush eagerly to you with an excited voice and a big story to tell you about what is happening in their book. I just love it!! In college one of my favorite classes was my children’s lit class where we read at least 50 picture and chapter books. We had to write little summaries on them as well. I loved being exposed to the different genres.  Now that I am teaching I love sharing good books with my students and finding books that they would be interested in.

This summer I have created a reading list for myself. I will be doing lots of flying this summer (home to the states, a wedding in GA, and a college reunion in IN)! So here what I will be curling up to late at night, outside lying on the grass and sitting on the airplane with:
·         7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess  by Jen Hatmaker

·         Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (This is a book I read every year- it is just that good)

·         Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change,Grace, and Learning the Hard Way by Shauna Neiquist (I have already read this book this year, but I really want to read it again because I loved it!)


·         Kisses from Katie: A Story ofRelentless Love and Redemption by Katie Davis (I read this book three years ago, but I want to read it again so badly especially since my family will be in Uganda and my dear friends are adopting from there) 

·         The Book Thief (recommended by the High School English Teacher at my school)

·         Not My Will: How Much Will SurrenderCost? By Francena H. Arnold

·         Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (Just a fun book to read and recommended by friend who said I will laugh a lot J )
A book that I am finishing up with right now is Having a Mary Heart in Maratha by Janna Weaver. This book has challenged my life in an amazing way. It talks all about taking the time to rest at Jesus’ feet instead of getting caught up in the business of the world. It challenges to think about what you are missing out on when you fill your life with constant. It helps you put life back into perspective and challenges you to change your ways.  I have been reading it with a dear friend. Our joke is that we started a bible study (study this book) about taking a break, but we have gotten too busy to finish! L  My desire is to live out the truth that is written so clearly in this book about taking the time to sit at Jesus’ feet. My prayer is that I will be able to live it out over this next year.
Well, I have lots of reading to do this summer, but I seriously can’t wait to snuggle up with a good book and relax. Summer is only 2 days away! I can’t believe I only have two more days of teaching life. Good-bye first year teaching!!! J  I am sad to see my little second graders go, but I am excited for what the Lord has for their futures!
Let me know if you read any good books this summer that I should put on my fall reading list
Love, Daniella

No comments:

Post a Comment