Saturday, April 4, 2015

Kenya captured my {heart} Part 3

“You have brains in your head; you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know; you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” –Dr. Seuss
West Nairobi School

In Kenya we had the awesome opportunity of visiting our sister school, West Nairobi School. They are in the same network of international schools that my school Pyeongtaek International School is in. It was so fun because I actually knew a few of the teachers from our pre-field orientation. I loved being able to catch up with them, share some stories and hear how teaching in Nairobi is.  We enjoyed a yummy Kenyan meal from the school cafeteria (which was outside under some huts- SO AWESOME!!).  And our students had a fun time playing soccer with some of the middle schoolers during recess then we went around to different classes helping out with reading week and answering questions about our life/school in Korea.
Cafeteria
The best school lunch ever!
 

Something that I think is so amazing and why I started out this blog post with a Dr. Seuss quote is that no matter if you are in a school in Kenya or a school in Korea you can share some similarities… like celebrating reading week with Dr. Seuss. This is totally an elementary teacher thing to get excited about, but I loved it! I loved seeing second graders in Kenya learning which made me think about my second graders in Korea. I loved that the second grade teacher in Kenya had the same theme as me for our classrooms which is travel (I got some awesome new ideas to add for next year! J) I love that I got to talk to kindergarteners all about their favorite day to dress up that week which the most excitement was about wacky hair day! YES!
First Grader Fun
 
Kindergarteners are just TOO cute!

It was just great to see that students no matter where you are eager to learn, excited about life, have troubles, talk without raising their hand, and have so many questions! Teaching is more than the physical place you are at- it is about reaching the children in your class where they are at.  I loved being able to spend the afternoon observing and learning at West Nairobi School.  It was also super fun to hear stories about monkeys stealing snacks from the students’ backpacks and having lock-downs for baboons! J It was an awesome school! And maybe just maybe someday I will teach there- you never know- it definitely wouldn’t be a bad place to teach!
Great opportunities for monkeys to get a little snack...


Love, Daniella
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment