Monday, March 10, 2014

Adding to the List of Firsts

The list of first keeps getting bigger by the day. This year has been an overwhelming amount of firsts for me. Awhile back I wrote a blog post all about my firsts and what God was teaching me through them. Well, I feel the need to add to this list and share a little more of what God is teaching me through these new firsts of mine. Oh, I always feel like I am learning. Good thing I am a teacher who needs to be a life-long learner (thanks to my professor at Taylor for ingraining that into my head J)
In September, my list of first constant of:
First time living overseas by myself for a long-period of time (I still can’t believe that I am actually living in another country- this totally freaks me out sometimes!!), first apartment, first year of teaching, first paper cut of the school year, first time living in a city, first case of lice in the classroom, first visit to Seoul, first time cooking with eggplant and first Saturday spent at school working.
Adding to the list of first are: coaching the girl’s high school soccer team, planning a bridal shower (by the end of year I will have had plan 3), riding in a taxi by myself, going to the doctor’s and getting a shot of antibiotic into my bottom and planning my first field trip by myself.
Something that has added to my schedule after school is coaching my school’s high school girls’ soccer team. I have never coached before, but I have always had desire to someday. Of course I thought I would be an assisted first, but when you teach at small school where others are just not passionate about coaching soccer (totally fine they are passionate about many other great things!!!) you jump right into being the head coach! We have been practicing for about three weeks now. We just had a week of two games and we won both of them! Hooray! I have never been more nervous in my life. If you know me you probably know that I am super competitive inside and if you didn’t know this oh, good I try to keep it hidden because it is embarrassing!
Coaching soccer has definitely been a huge eye opener for me in who I am, the impact that I can have on others and learning how to have grace with myself and my team. My prayer these days is that I will have the confidence I need to coach these girls well spiritually, personally and in their soccer skills.
The other day one of wives of a co-worker asked me if I was modelling my coaching off of a coach I had when I was younger. Honestly, not really! The coaching philosophy that I have develop is a mixture of seeing things that I didn’t like my coaches doing and doing the opposite and also watching the coaches at Taylor University coach.  My deep desire is that my team of girls will glorify God by their actions on and off the field. We talk about this constantly and what it means to do this. It means to be kind and encouraging to one another. It means to play as a team. It means to uplift one another. It means that we pray to God before and after a game no matter what the score giving Him all the glory. This has been so humbling for me as our game on Friday was not a good game of soccer, but I have realized that instead of getting really mad at my girls tomorrow at practice before our next game I need to encourage them and speak truth into their lives about how well I know they can play. One thing I love about coaching soccer is that I get to know these amazing high school girls who are just trying to make it through high school years with so many life obstacles. I feel so blessed to be a part of their day!
My Team! :)
Something else that I have learned is that I need to give my self-grace. Grace is something that constantly comes across my mind as I am coaching practice-sometimes a drill is a complete fail, but I just quietly give myself grace and move on. I have also realized how important it is to give my girls grace as well. I do know that they are improving and are only playing with twelve ladies on the team. Even though soccer adds so much business to my life I am definitely thankful for it and find much joy in coaching these girls.
After our very rainy game!

The new firsts that I have added to my list are ones that I can honestly say have given me joy (coaching), tears (shot), a feeling of independence (taxi ride), abundance of love (bridal showers), and a feeling of satisfaction (planning my first field trip-I will let you know how it goes!!)
These firsts are just another way that I believe God is drawing me closer to his heart and shaping me into the woman He has created me to be.
Well, I made it a goal this week to be in bed by 8:30pm to read and relax so that I can have the energy I need to teach, coach and do life this week! I am not going to quite make it tonight, but I will be close! J
Love,
Daniella

No comments:

Post a Comment